During a walk through the hallways, I started thinking about what situations cause me to get anxious. There are many, but not all cause the same level of fear/physical stress. I figured if I write them down, I could find any common themes and maybe find ways to fight the anxiety. Lists make me feel organized.
This may make it to it’s own page eventually, but I thought I’d start with a first cut here.
Situations that always cause anxiety:
- Walking down the hallway
- Answering the front door
- Getting lunch from the large cafeteria
- Areas that are loud
- Returning phone calls
- Watching a show on TV that no one else in the room likes (even if they aren’t watching TV)
- Waiting for someone
- Pretty much any situation where I’m not aware of the expected outcome, or I feel I have no control in directing the interaction.
Sometimes cause anxiety, depending on the environment and people involved:
- Shopping (either for food or generally)
- Ordering takeout/delivery over the phone
- Answering the door to get said food delivery
- Talking to strangers in public (after they approach me, obviously)
- Talking on the phone to people I know
- Getting lunch from the small cafeteria
- Waiting in lines
Situations I feel ok in:
- Being anywhere with S (He’s one person I am always comfortable being with.)
- Being alone (a given, but still a situation)
- Watching TV alone
- Eating alone